by First Mate Keira
Title: 13 Treasures
Author: Michelle Harrison
Page Count: 355
Grade Reading Level: Grade 5–8
Summary: Tanya knows that at age 13 she can no longer get away with talking to faeries or about them in front of others as both adults and kids couldn’t see them. Only her. She’d been tormented by them for years and the bullying wasn’t going to ever stop as far as she could see. When she tried to write about them in a journal, they discovered it and punished her. That punishment woke her mother which lead to more punishment… she was being sent away to live with her grandmother. The grandmother she is certain hates her and never wants her to visit. Oh and her grandmother’s place is stuffed with faeries inside and outside the house… talk about jumping from frying pan into the fire.
Why I started this book:
It looked really cute on the library shelf. Cover is very nice.
- Tanya’s and Fabian’s friendship. They work together to solve the mystery of the girl in the woods. The girl, Morwenna Bloom, had gone missing ages ago and but her disappearance was blamed on Fabian’s grandfather. The town thinks he killed her, but there’s no proof. Or is there?
- Oberon is a good dog. He had a lot of personality infused in his character with just a few lines.
- Raven, Gredin, Feathercap, and Mizhog, the bullying faeries that pick on Tanya.
- Morwenna Bloom. I just knew she wasn’t the sweet missing girl she’s made out to be throughout the story.
- Another thing I didn’t get was feeling bad for changelings and trying to help them.
- Florence’s relationship with her granddaughter. The motivations were explained in the conclusion of the story, but it seemed rather weak to me.
- The 13 treasures the story is titled after appear in the novel as a charm bracelet to go with a legend. It didn’t do anything… I kept expecting it to end up being the real treasures shrunk down, but it was just jewelry.
- The concept of guardian faeries was very contradicting in terms of world-building. In the end I didn’t quite understand how if one or several of the faeries were on Tanya’s side how they could condone tormenting and torturing her. It didn’t make much sense to me.
Rating: 2.5 Treasure Chests
[phpbay]treasures michelle harrison, 10, 377, “”[/phpbay]