by First Mate Keira
Author: Alex Flinn
Page Count: 300
Reading Grade Level: Grade 7+
Summary: Beauty and the Beast retold in modern day New York from the Kyle Kingsbury or the Beast’s point of view in a high school setting. Need I say more? Yum!
Why I started reading this book:
It’s being made into a movie. See trailer:
- Getting the Beast’s POV. It shows his progression from a pretty but petty vindictive and mean boy to an ugly but mature reflective and kind boy. We also read his rage and despair at the unfairness of his new situation.
- Kyle changing his name to Adrian to represent his new persona.
- The line, “Kyle Kingsbury, you are beastly.”
- The rose garden and castle – making a magical kingdom in NYC.
- The blind teacher, Will. He’s a good mentor.
- Lindy’s crooked teeth. Why is it an issue? Most people look pretty good with crooked teeth, but if it was really bad and made her look ugly it’s easily fixed with all that money Adrian has.
- Kendra the witch is an iffy for me.
- Tuttle Prep sounds like it needs all its students to be turned into Beasts; especially Sloane. Where’s the justice there?
Last Minute Thoughts: Can’t wait to see the movie.
Rating: 4 Treasure Chests
[phpbay]beastly alex, 10, 377, “”[/phpbay]