Reviewed by First Mate Keira
Title: Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls, Book 1)
Author: C.C. Hunter
Page Count: 416 pages
Grade Reading Level: Ages 14+
Summary: When Kylie gets into trouble for being at the wrong party her mother’s response is to ship her off to a camp the therapist recommends. Shadow Falls camp for troubled teens is not what it appears – it is in fact a camp for paranormal kids. Kylie can’t believe her eyes and she’s pretty certain she’s not one herself, so why is she there?
Why I started this book:
I was looking for a new book series to start and I saw this on Goodreads under my recommendations based on previous books read (Mythos Academy Series by Jennifer Estep) by and based on my TBR pile (sequel books to the other series). Thanks Goodreads!
- Derek: half-fae teenage boy who wants to be Kylie’s new boyfriend. His talent? The ability to influence based on touch… which sort of takes him out of the romance running in my opinion, but he’s still a good character.
- Lucas: werewolf from Kylie’s past – and a threat to all kittens! He’s got my vote. Yum (and I don’t say that about werewolves often!)
- Kylie can see ghosts and I like who she sees first – good choice! I wonder who she will see next in the sequel.
- Miranda and Della, the friends Kylie makes at camp who are also her new bunkmates, were equally entertaining and/or annoying so they are here in this section.
- What kids would rather have a brain tumor than have paranormal talents? Seriously, Kylie was being stupid. I’d take “freakiness” to that every day of the week!
trianglequadangle. The sleazy ex-boyfriend who just can’t take a hint needs to go, go, go.
Last Minute Thoughts: Sequel time?!! I want it!
Rating: 3.5 Treasure Chests