by First Mate Keira
Title: Burned (House of Night, Book 7)
Author: P. C. Cast and Kristin Cast
Page Count: 384 Pages
Grade Reading Level: Grade 9+
Summary: Zoey’s soul is shattered and it looks like there’s no way to save her from becoming a wandering zombie-like spirit. But the Nerd Herd won’t take no for an answer. Between Aphrodite’s visions, Stevie Rae’s rituals, and Damien’s research skills the find a solution to do the impossible. They know (sort of) how to send a High Priestess’ Warrior to the spirit world successfully. Stark is gungho and ready to save her, but he’s got to watch out for Heath and Kalona.
Why I started this book:
I’ve been reading the books like they’re junk food. The first books were not all that good and I wasn’t expecting this one to be either but I was pleasantly surprised. Burned still exhibits all the bad qualities of the series (insanely dumb teenage speak being my number one pet peeve) but I think the plot has finally developed enough to be interesting.
- Stark. I love a boy who is willing to go the distance and face possible death to do the right thing. He’s the type of hero who will always be able to save the girl. He’s grown on me again as a romantic interest.
- Heath. He does the hardest thing he’s ever been asked to do in the spirit world and I love him for it. Here’s hoping we’ll see him in the future.
- Rephaim. I just knew if he became all good he’d be a Native American boy. Kind of like how Pinocchio becomes a real man, this Raven Mocker is discovering that there’s more to immortal existence than darkness. I like him with Stevie Rae.
- Aphrodite for the first time annoys me. As much butt as she kicks with the visions and the sass, I’m ready for her to take a bit of a chill pill and act like a normal person.
- Stark getting a Scottish accent due to his trip to the spirit world. Say what? Lame.
- I still don’t like the POV changing. It’s a problem I have with the Blue Blood series too. I wish they’d stick to a few characters instead of any and every character they take a liking too.
- Kalona was not his scary self – what’s with the lurking approach in the spirit world? Grr. Good thing Stark’s presence finally made him delurk.
Rating: 3 Treasure Chests
[phpbay]burned kristin cast, 10, 377, “”[/phpbay]