by First Mate Keira
Title: Change of a Dress
Author: Maya Gold
Page Count: 224 pages
Grade Reading Level: Grade 4-6
Summary: Diana wants to act in the school’s play, but her stepmother convinces her dad that she must work at Cinderella Cleaners to help the family business when it’s short on staff. The cleaners is a whole other microcosm separate from her school where she interacts with all sorts of fun characters. Unexpectedly one day at work Diana finds tickets inside the pockets of one of the customer’s pieces to the newest hottest Broadway starring teen heartthrob Adam Kessler. Now all she needs is to find is transportation and a dress… and a way to hide it from her stepmother.
Why I started this book:
I read a review of the Cinderella Cleaners Series from another YA blogger, Bildungsroman, and wanted to check it out for myself.
- Diana as a heroine. She’s willing to give up the school play so as to not cause trouble. She’s kind and sweet and smart too.
- Nelson he starts off reserved, but soon this Fedora wearing head tailor with a knack for design whistles a different tune. He even whips up a pretty sweet dress.
- Catalina and Elise the high school students with polar opposite personalities and philosophies on life at the cleaners. Cat is ready to take risks, while Elise is more comfortable with books and following the rules.
- Evil stepmother – steps can be nice! Though I suppose the story is biased from Diana’s POV on things. Here’s hoping they get along better in future books.
- Adam Kessler immediate attraction to her. Too big an age difference. Of course he backs off once he realizes her age, but talk about highly unrealistic! Teen heartthrobs don’t just begin crushing on fans. If that’s realistic I need to give Zac Efron and Robert Pattinson my phone number pronto.
Last Minute Thoughts: Overall it’s cute, clean, and reminds me of the Baby-Sitters Club, a series I loved as a young girl.
Rating: 3.5 Treasure Chests
[phpbay]change dress maya gold, 10, 377, “”[/phpbay]