by First Mate Keira
Title: Dragon Slippers
Author: Jessica Day George
Page Count: 321
Grade Reading Level: 6-8 Grades
Summary: Creel Carlbrun is going to be sacrificed to a dragon. Her foolish aunt hopes this will put her in the path of a wealthy knight and result in marriage and the rising of family fortunes. The dragon however just wants to get rid of her, having no appetite for human girls. They strike a deal that solves both of their problems. Creel will take something from his collection and in return she will convince the knight to go away forever. Imagine her surprise when the dragon’s hoard is full of shoes.
Why I started this book:
It was on display in the young adult section of the library. I devoured it in less than 48 hours. I’m excited that there are two more books in the series! Hurray!
- The world building is truly exceptional and full of humor and fun. It’s a feel good story with girl empowerment a central theme.
- I loved that dragons rarely hoarded gold and jewels. Their funky collections are fabulous. Their lairs even more intriguing!
- I loved King’s Seat, the royal city, and all the political elements between the Realm of Feravel and their neighbor.
- Prince Luka is a wonderful second son and royal prince. He’s thoughtful, kind, and generous. There are strong romantic hints that he and Creel would be an item by the end of the trilogy.
- My favorite dragon didn’t die. Woohoo!
Last Minute Thoughts: This book had a similar feel to Ella Enchanted, which I also adore tremendously.
Rating: 5 Treasure Chests
[phpbay]dragon slippers, 10, 377, “”[/phpbay]