by First Mate Keira
Title: Hex Hall
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Format: Kindle ebook
Page Count: 336 pages (Hardback)
Grade Reading Level: Grade 8+
Summary: Sophie has known for a couple of years that she’s a witch. She loves the way magic feels tingling up from her soles to her fingertips. It’s a rush. Unfortunately for Sophie a love spell gone horribly wrong gets her sentenced to Hecate (affectionately Hex Hall) the reform school for irresponsible Prodigium (witches, faeries, and shapeshifters). There she meets 3 beautiful mean Dark Witches who want her to join their coven, makes friends with the school pariah, makes enemies of the Vandy, and crushes on the most popular if annoying boy in the whole school all the while dark and scary things are taking place up in the girl’s dormitory.
Why I started this book:
Read the summary – it looked cute. I’ve also seen the title around a lot in the YA blogosphere.
- Hawkins is absolutely hysterical. In my Kindle version I must have highlighted three or four phrases and considered doing so to another six. I especially liked: “I don’t need eyes to see you. I see you with the eyes of my heart! Felicia! My heart!” (That’s just remembering though I think it’s pretty accurate.)
- Sophie Mercer is a huge dork and the source of most of the humor in the story as it’s told in first person. She’s great and her sarcastic and witty barbs will leave you in stitches.
- Archer Cross is a yummy hero. Of course he’s the popular unattainable guy who is dating Elodie who is out to get Sophie, but hey you can only fault his taste in women not the guy himself. There’s definitely more to him than what meets the eye and that includes the big shocker at the end.
- Jenna the 15 year old vampire girl who loves pink.
- It was done so cutely it’s hard to really put this as a dislike, but Sophie is a potty mouth and cursed a lot.
- Classes weren’t done in any real detail except the first Defense class.
- Of the 3 Dark Witch popular girls only Elodie was truly fleshed out. I thought some of the faeries were crueler and could have been used to create more drama.
Favorite Quote: “I don’t need eyes to see you! I see you with the eyes of my heart, Felicia! My HEART!”
Last Minute Thoughts: Looking forward to book two, which is maybe, possibly, titled Demonglass. It’s hard to tell the author’s blog is a little disorganized and a quick look at her website code doesn’t open some of the links.
Rating: 4.5 Treasure Chests
[phpbay]hex hall, 10, 377, “”[/phpbay]