Reviewed by First Mate Keira
Title: If I Have a Wicked Stepmother, Where’s My Prince?
Author: Melissa Kantor
Page Count: 283 pages
Grade Reading Level: Grades 7-9
Summary: Lucy Norton is a modern day Cinderella. Forced to move from San Francisco to Long Island because of her dad’s remarriage, she’s struggling to find her balance in a life she doesn’t want. With her dad constantly out of state due to work, it’s a lot harder than it should be. Her stepmom asks like a totally different person when he’s not around. It’s clear the stepmom wants to be rid of her. Add in her two wicked little stepsisters and Lucy’s just wondering where the heck her prince is to complete the fairy tale.
Why I started this book:
Goodreads recommended it to me based on my TBR pile.
- I like how Lucy comes to the rescue for her twin stepsisters in the book. It was a smart move on the stepsisters part to call someone to get them out of trouble. Kids take note! Ever find yourself somewhere you don’t want to be make that phone call.
- I like that Lucy shares a strong interest in common with each of the guy’s she likes and that like her back. Conner Pearson (most popular guy at school, but who’s too old for her) is on the basketball team and Lucy is crazy about basketball. While Lucy and Sam Wolff share a passion for art – creating it and discussing other artists.
- I appreciated the fact that the friendships she makes with two girls while she’s popular stick with her when she’s no longer dating the popular boy.
- I was hoping for a stepmom would appeared horrible but really wasn’t. But she actually is and it’s kind of an unfair reputation. Not all stepmoms are wicked, just this one. She refused to furnish or let Lucy furnish her room until it benefited her to have it done when a friend would need to use it, honed in on all the daughter’s phone time with her dad instead of waiting for them to be done, punished or reprimanded her for small infractions while letting her own daughters get away with everything, it’s a huge double standard.
- Oh and at one point at a party she forces Lucy to dress up like the help and take people’s coats and serve them food without bothering to introduce her as her husband’s daughter. Seriously? The father lets her get away with that and that’s just wrong!
Rating: 3 Treasure Chests
[phpbay]wicked stepmother prince kantor, 10, “”, “”[/phpbay]