by First Mate Keira
Title: Physik (Septimus Heap, Book 3)
Author: Angie Sage
Page Count: 576 pages
Grade Reading Level: Grades 4-8
Summary: Septimus Heap is interested in Physik, an ancient form of healing. When he’s caught by Marcia Overstrand, his mentor, reading notes by the great Physician Marcellus Pye he gets in trouble. Physik is nothing but nonsense she says. Or is it? When Septimus is kidnapped by a 500 year old Marcellus Pye to be his Alchemie Apprentice in the past, Septimus gets the chance to find out for himself. But how will he get home?
Why I started this book:
I read the first two books in the series and am working my way through the rest.
- The time travel was fun, even if a decrepit 500 year old Marcellus is kind of scary and a little gross. Haha. Mirror time travel has been done before, but I liked that it was between connected mirrors.
- The bad guy or bad situation in each book is different, though characters overlap all the time. This is pretty cool and makes the series very different from most other fantasy series which have one major bad guy.
- I like newcomer Snorri Snorrelssen a lot. I think she and Nicko will be paired up as a romantic couple in the future. I also like Ullr, her transforming cat/panther.
- Boris Catchpole is another character I like. He used to be in charge of the Young Army boys, but now he’s a sub-wizard. He wants to be an Ordinary Wizard, but he is terrible at Magyk.
- I didn’t like the focus of Sicknesse in the book. Why couldn’t the Physik be centered around healing a friend or something from a seemingly fatal accident? Why a plague-like disease? Ick. On the plus, Angie Sage didn’t really go into any details of the symptoms.
- Queen Etheldredda is a good bad guy, but I would not want to meet her in person. I think I would enjoy her character better now that I’ve finished the book. Reading it, you don’t really know where she’s going. Also she murdered two of her children and was planning to kill a third one… which is awful! 😛 I don’t like her pet Aie-Aie either.
- I do have to wonder what Alther Mella ever saw in Silas Heap to train him as his apprentice. The man is pathetic as wizard!
Rating: 2 Treasure Chests
[phpbay]physik sage, 10, 377, “”[/phpbay]