by First Mate Keira
Title: Princess for Hire
Author: Lindsey Leavitt
Grade Reading Level: Grades 6–8
Summary: Princess for Hire is the first book of a new series following the general mishaps and adventures of Desi Bascomb, a young fifteen year old girl looking for dazzle, something the city of Sproutsville is seriously lacking. As far as Desi is concerned life sucks. She’s stuck in a dead-end job at Pets Charming working as their groundhog mascot, her best friend is not only not speaking to her anymore but is actively ruining her life, and the boy she likes doesn’t even know she exists. Then Desi comes across an ad looking for a princess double which seems too good to be true and boy is it – Desi’s new job as a princess double is full of potential hijinks. Right now Desi is only allowed to masquerade as Level 1 Princesses (princesses with enough weird things going on in their lives that nobody would notice or comment on anything extra weird) but that could change if she does well on her first jobs.
Why I started this book:
I saw the cover and while it looked really girly and young I liked the title. It’s very evocative and gives just enough of a hint about the book to draw in skeptical readers.
- I love Meredith’s snarkiness. Her biggest card is sarcasm and it’s pretty funny.
- Desi is a smart practical girl. She notices things wrong in the princesses’ lives and works to change that. It’s not easy and there’s plenty of room for some serious backfire but she’s determined to make these Level 1s feel special.
- Each adventure acting as the princess double was cute. I honestly can’t wait to read the next installment to this new series.
- I like how Desi takes some of what she tried to give, teach, or instill in the princesses’ lives and apply it to her own. Her happy ending is here just yet but things are showing progress. Hello new boy!
- Celeste, the ex-best-friend, who is systematically removing friends from Desi’s life by manipulation. She’s mean and nasty and I honestly just want to see her land in a pig pen and get covered in mud. I’m not sure the old friends are worth getting back either, but we’ll see as the series progresses.
Last Minute Thoughts: Fairy godmothers need not apply.
Rating: 4 Treasure Chests
[phpbay]princess hire leavitt, 10, 377, “”[/phpbay]