by First Mate Keira
Title: Syren (Septimus Heap, Book 5)
Author: Angie Sage
Page Count: 656 pages
Grade Reading Level: Grades 4-8
Summary: Just after the events of Queste, Septimus Heap is planning a return trip on Spit Fyre, his dragon, to find his friends at the Trading Post. He finds them with Milo Banda, Jenna’s biological dad onboard his ship. Beetle and Jenna decide to return to the Castle with him immediately, while Snorri and Nicko plan to take the long way home and sail there. On the journey back to the Castle, the trio and Spit Fyre are caught in a storm and marooned on an island when Spit Fyre is seriously injured. The island is not the paradise it seems. It comes with a scary secret.
Why I started this book:
I read the first four books in the series. No sense quitting now! 😀
- Wolf Boy is back! I love him. I hope he gets a real name soon though.
- Jim Knee the golden jinnee. He’s a tricky one but I like how he’s not really given a chance to get out of hand.
- Tertius Fume, the Ghost of the first Chief Hermetic Scribe, has traveled far in his human life and has a wide range as a ghost, much more than Arthur Mella. He’s back in this book and has big plans for Castle and Wizard Tower domination.
- Spit Fyre is saved! He doesn’t die. I’m so happy about that.
- Simon Heap. I want to read more of him. From good to bad to remorseful/good again. What will happen next in his character arc?
- Not sure of Wolf Boy’s task to become the next Keeper. What’s the point of the tentacle exactly?
- I got tired of the pirates and the Crowes.
- Syren is a way creepy character. I’m so glad that Syra is freed from her possession. What’s with all the possessing in the series by the way?
Rating: 4 Treasure Chests
[phpbay]syren angie sage, 10, 377, “”[/phpbay]