by First Mate Keira
Title: The Atlantis Complex (Artemis Fowl Book 7)
Author: Eoin Colfer
Page Count: 357
Grade Reading Level: Ages 9-12
Summary: A criminal mastermind is plotting escape from the underwater fairy prison in Atlantis. Everything is in place and ready to go when a series of lucky incidences go his way. First that Mud Boy, Artemis Fowl, appears to be suffering from a guilty conscience triggering a fairy psychosis called the Atlantis Complex. The boy sends his bodyguard away, lures several high ranked members of LEPrecon out into the middle of nowhere, and provides the perfect distraction for the mastermind’s plans. Nothing can get in his way now… cue sinister laughing.
Why I started this book:
I picked up Atlantis Complex because I have read the previous six Artemis Fowl books. It wasn’t available in audio from the library yet or I would have selected that format.
- Atlantis is a secondary city for the fairies. It’s not as big as Haven, but it’s just as important. I wish there had been more time spent in and around Atlantis instead of just focused on the prison and the mastermind’s escape route.
- The giant squid was pretty epic. I like how it was a thinking creature and used tools, primitive though they were. (“I’m a nut!”)
- The reprogrammed amorphobots. Foaly’s peaceful scientific advances intent on looking for life on Mars becoming nearly unbeatable weapons was pretty cool and clever.
- Orion Fowl was a waste of space both inside Artemis’ head and also on page. I expected more than bad poetry frankly as Artemis’ arch enemy.
- Foaly was completely useless. He was good for the phone he carried, that’s it. The rest of the time he was patently unhelpful always saying the goo-bots he built weren’t programmed to do what they were doing. Of course they weren’t! That’s why everything was going to hell in a hand-basket.
- Artemis should have been fully healed from the Atlantis Complex before the end of the book. I don’t like that it’s been left open for a plot device in the next book.
Rating: 3 Treasure Chests
[phpbay]atlantis complex fowl colfer, 10, 377, “”[/phpbay]