Reviewed by First Mate Keira
Title: The Elite (Selection Trilogy, Book 2)
Author: Kiera Cass
Page Count: 323 pages
Grade Reading Level: Ages 14+
Summary: 35 girls competed for Prince Maxon’s heart in a reality show based competition. He’s narrowed the selection down to six (America, Natalie, Elise, Celeste, Kriss and Marlee.) He knows who he wants, but her heart may belong to another. Can he win it? Will America let him? If she doesn’t hurry it might be too late because while she’s not competing, the other girls are.
Why I started this book:
I loved The Selection. Reality TV in the form of a dating show meets futuristic dystopian novel? I’m in.
- America doesn’t just forget her feelings for Aspen. The girl was heartbroken over his unilateral decision to break things off. But she’s not shutting her heart down and is finding she can love another.
- America – lower class, brash, foolhardy, doesn’t watch her mouth. Her honesty, beauty, and unguarded behavior are the main attractors for Maxon.
- Maxon – I feel for him. He wants the one girl, who is not only an impossible match (according to his father’s expectations), but the girl is probably the only one who isn’t jumping at the chance to marry him and be a princess.
- Celeste is an easy character to hate – she’s the beautiful mean girl. But that’s her job in the book series and she’s not a truly awful person… just opportunistic. She’s also after the crown and not so much the man wearing it. Surprisingly she’s a real contender for reasons America doesn’t understand. But she will soon learn.
- Another couple is caught – not America and Aspen – but another couple. The royal family, including Prince Maxon, must punish the treasonous act. The violence and unfairness of it crushes America. The other girl was a friend. I understand why it’s in the book, but it is still unpleasant.
- Aspen – I still don’t like this guy. Usually I am all over the lost love hero in a triangle like white on rice… but he’s a jerk and is too willing to risk America’s safety for time together.
“From the beginning, I’ve really only looked at you, wanted you.” – Maxon (Hot!!!)
“I’ve been looking for a suitable alternative, but the truth is… there’s only you.” – Maxon (America, jump him, or I will!)
“… It’s hard to explain. All I can say is that I’ve been given a second chance. Maxon matters to me, and I’m going to fight for him.” – America (Me too!)
Rating: 5 Treasure Chests
[phpbay]elite kiera cass, 10, “”, “”[/phpbay]