Reviewed by First Mate Keira
Title: The Magic Thief
Author: Sarah Prineas
Format: Audio Book
Listening Length: 7 hours and 32 minutes
Narrator: Greg Steinbruner
Grade Reading Level: Ages 8-14
Summary: Connwaer is a thief. He’s lived for a very long time on the streets of Twilight, avoiding his evil uncle, for all intents and purposes, an orphan. One night he pickpockets a locus magicalicus surprising the wizard who owned it for he should have dropped dead on contact. Nevery Flinglas finds the boy interesting and takes the boy on as his apprentice. The only glitch is that Conn needs a locus stone of his own or he can’t learn magic. But learning magic is almost the least of Conn’s worries because it seems even if he does find his stone, chances are he won’t be able to use it because something or someone is stealing the magic right out of Wellmet.
Why I started this book:
I can’t exactly recall what drew me to this book. I either saw it on my library’s website or on Goodreads under the recommendation section. No matter! I saw it and got it and read it in that order.
- Conn!!! He’s awesome! There should be more thief YA books!
- Benet’s rapport with Connwaer. It’s cute, but real. Conn is like the annoying younger brother. Benet is a quiet cornerstone.
- Conn knows what he’s willing and capable of doing or learning and what he isn’t and sticks to that with consistency. It’s refreshing. I liked that he wasn’t willing to be a servant and when it seemed that was his only option he was willing to walk away despite all the positives of staying.
- Greg Steinbruner’s way of reading took some getting used to. I can’t tell if it’s his natural way of reading or perhaps how he decided or was directed to act. The accent for the speech in Wellmet could be entirely made up and thus explain why it was so weird. I got used to it eventually. Even grew to like it.
- When Conn is kept by the city’s police in a cell and feed him tons and tons of truth potion to get him to talk. Good thing Nevery is on his side or the poor kid could have been killed by “neglect”.
Rating: 4 Treasure Chests
[phpbay]magic thief sarah prineas, 10, “”, “”[/phpbay]