by First Mate Keira, guest reviewer
Title: The Sea of Monsters
Author: Rick Riordan
Narrator: Jesse Berns
Format: Unabridged Audio Cassette
# Cassettes / Minutes : 5 Cassettes (7 hours, 56 minutes)
Grade Reading Level: Ages 9-14
Audio Preview: Download Clip (Right click, save as.)
Summary: This is book two of Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. Poseidon’s 13-year-old demigod son Percy Jackson gets expelled from his new prep school and is trying to get to camp. The old cast and crew is back with an addition of a new member: Tyson, a baby Cyclops. At Camp Half-Blood, there’s lots of trouble: Chiron is dismissed, Thalia’s tree is poisoned, and monsters are crossing the borders. A new quest is issued and it’s given to the unlikeliest of campers.
Why I Started This Book:
I’m not really sure why I decided to pick this book up when I was disappointed with the first book. I suppose I began this book because I am certain that the upcoming movie of The Lightning Thief is just the start of a new movie franchise and I like midnight premieres.
- The Siren sequence in the novel is very interesting. Annabeth learns what her fatal flaw is and now must come to terms with it before it can destroy her.
- Percy Jackson learning to accept and love his half-brother Tyson.
- Tyson is a terrific character. He’s so full of love and kindness. Not something you’d expect from a Cyclops monster.
- Hermes is a very good uncle to Percy in this book through help and guidance. He’s very father-like as he helps explain to Percy about Poseidon’s motives and actions.
- Clarisse La Rue has become a pitiable character. It’s good to see the other side of bullies.
- The Hydra and Monster Donuts or chain stores explanation is just too weird for me. I like my fast food to stay monster free thanks!
- Tantalus is just awful, which I suppose fits well with his mythological character.
- Dionysus is a boor. Honestly he’s the worst partier ever.
- Speaking of parties… the Party Ponies. Wow. Just wow… they’re like drunk frat boys crossed with stoners and nerds.
- I’m iffy about Circe’s role in the novel. It wasn’t my favorite sequence but it was far better than the Medusa scene in the previous novel.
Last minute thoughts: Sea of Monsters is much, much better than The Lightning Thief. I will be continuing this series while anticipating the movies.
Book Rating: 4 Stars
Keira runs a book review blog for readers by readers on romance novels entitled Love Romance Passion. She’s been reading romance since she was in her teens and began blogging about romance so she could share her passion for her favorite genre. She loves reading paranormal, Regency, historical America, and highlander most of all and completely adores blind and wounded heroes.
[phpbay]Sea of Monsters , 5, “377”, “”[/phpbay]