by First Mate Keira, guest reviewer
Title: The Seeing Stone (Book 2: The Spiderwick Chronicles)
Author: Tony Diterlizzi and Holly Black
# of pages: 109
Grade Reading Level: Ages 9-12
Summary: When Simon is captured by goblins, Jared and Mallory must find a way to get him back. Thimbletack knows what to do but he’ll only rhyme and give clues. Angry, Jared attacks Thimbletack and gets the seeing stone. Suddenly all things fey come to light!
Why I Started the Book:
I got three Spiderwick novels at once so I could read them back to back. This is book number two.
- The goblin species – part frog in appearance with wicked looking teeth that are not their own.
- Hogsqueal, the hobgoblin. His spit allows the Grace children to see the fantasy kingdom right under their nose.
- The troll in the lake. Good thing he’s not very smart or the kids would be in serious trouble.
- Tibbs getting eaten. Poor cat! How gruesome!
- Thimbletack the brownie/boggart is one wicked little creature who makes a lot of mischief. I’m not sure he’ll stay as a dislike as I read more of the books, we’ll just have to wait and see what he does.
Book Rating: 3 Treasure Chests