Reviewed by First Mate Keira
Title: The Spirit Thief (The Legend of Eli Monpress, Book 1)
Author: Rachel Aaron
Format: Digital ebook
Page Count: 368 pages
Grade Reading Level: Ages 15+
Summary: Eli Monpress is devoted to building his legend. As a wizard and a thief he desires to be the best of both and to be the most sought after criminal in the world with the vainglorious goal of achieving a 1 Million Gold Standard bounty. His partners include a non-magical 20-something swordsman with the most powerful wakened sword in the world and a dangerous demonseed with powers to leap through shadows and the strength to destroy mountains. This time nothing will please him more than to steal a king along with a king’s ransom.
Why I started this book:
The series was recommended by a friend. When I read this on the blurb, I knew I had to read it too:
“Eli Monpress is talented. He’s charming. And he’s a thief.
But not just any thief. He’s the greatest thief of the age – and he’s also a wizard.”
- Eli Monpress is in a word, awesome. I am rooting for him to reach that 1 Million Gold Standard Bounty. He’s hilarious and his magical powers are like some of the wonderful things people have come up with in Harry Potter fanfiction – or more specifically what I mean is – he can literally charm the world to do his bidding.
- Much of the world building. I love that Eli can awaken doors and get them to willingly, happily, collapse into a heap of boards so he can escape prison. Let this be a lesson to you all…
”First rule of dungeons,” he said with a wry grin, “don’t pin all your hopes on a gullible door.”
- Eli kidnaps a king. Bwuahaha!
- Josef. He keeps Eli from too much trouble.
- It doesn’t stay with the protagonist Eli Monpress. The story jumps to Miranda, Nico, and others so much it’s like their story instead of Eli’s. He should have had way more press time since he’s why we’re (or at least I am) reading the story.
- Nico harbors a demonseed so evil all the spirits in the world would kill themselves in an effort to kill her and she still goes around unchecked. More than that the story has too big a focus on her.
Rating: 4 Treasure Chests
[phpbay]spirit thief aaron, 10, 377, “”[/phpbay]