by First Mate Keira
Author: Lucienne Diver
Page Count: 230 pages
Grade Reading Level: Grade 8+
Summary: After a make-out session at an after prom party with suddenly hot Bobby, Gina wakes up inside a coffin. She’s a vampire! Luckily Bobby’s there to meet her on the other side with necessities – clothes! But that’s when her luck runs out. Her first night as a vampire doesn’t go so well when they get captured and dragged to Mellisande’s secret lair filled with newborn teenagers, including her nemesis, who’s now all wrapped around Chaz, her ex-honey.
Why I started this book:
Saw it on the shelf in the library and it looked funny.
- Gina is hilarious. She’s constantly running snarky commentary in her head or saying it out loud. She’s a heroine you can go shopping with and go out with for a bite.
- I like that she stays with chess geek Bobby even after finding hunky Chaz turned.
- It’s lighthearted and fun. Just take a look at the back blurb.
- The humor reminds me a little bit of Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Legally Blonde, which I have to say is a fun mix. (Warning: the vampire mythology is different from Buffy.)
- It drags a little in the middle.
- The creepy psychic creature.
- Gina’s automatic love for Bobby is a bit strange. Why does she love him? Or for that matter why does he love her?
- Lack of world-building when it came to the Council, prophecy, vampire powers, and the medallion that tested their strength.
Rating: 2.5 Treasure Chests
[phpbay]vamped lucienne diver, 10, 377, “”[/phpbay]