Reviewed by First Mate Keira
Title: Wondrous Strange (Wondrous Strange, Book 1)
Author: Lesley Livingston
Page Count: 352 pages
Grade Reading Level: Ages 13 and up
Summary: Kelley Winslow loves acting on stage, even if it is in a two-bit theater that is very off-off-Broadway. She’s the understudy for the Faery Queen Titania in the company’s production of Shakespeare’s Midsummer Night’s Dream. Anything to to live out her dreams. And then the understudy is to take to the stage! Kelley goes to Central Park to do an impromptu solo rehearsal to learn her lines and winds up discovering the real world of faeries that Shakespeare wrote about in his plays… and discovers that she is a long lost faery princess.
Why I started this book:
Goodreads recommended it. It has a beautiful cover.
- Janus guards – the changling faery kill squad. They’re meant to keep mortals and faery from mingling much.
- Bob. He appears as one thing and is quite another.
- Dual faery powers – autumn and winter – two sets of wings = awesome!
- Lucky the kelpie in the bathtub eating cheerios. Lots of character for a non-speaking part.
- Sonny as the hero’s name… his best friend Maddox sounds more sexy. Sonny just seemed so modern for a changling from a long time ago.
- There was a lot that felt extraneous or dragged during the setup.
Rating: 3.5 Treasure Chests
[phpbay]Wondrous Strange lesley, 10, “”, “”[/phpbay]